PMS/Pre-menstrual Syndrome & Homeopathy
As a girl enters in her puberty the normal menstrual cycle starts. Menstruation is the cyclical shedding of the lining of the uterus, accompanied by bleeding.
Some woman faces certain minor disorders during their menstrual cycle, which are the normal part & parcel of menstruation. But proper assessment can become necessary where the problem is either persistent or unduly severe & prolonged.
Some common symptoms and discomfort
There are a significant number of symptoms that may be associated with PMS. These symptoms trouble a few women for 2/3 days, and for some as many as 10 days.
- Change in the mood and behaviour
- Breast tenderness & swelling
- Pelvic pain, lower abdominal cramps, backache
- Weight gain from water retention & bloating
- Constipation or diarrhoea, joint or muscle pain
- Emotional changes as depression, crying. Anxiety, mood swings, insomnia, headache
- Food cravings, increase appetite, fatigue
- Acnes, blackheads
- Women with depression may have more severe symptoms during the second half of their cycle and may need to have their medication adjusted.
- The suicide rate in women with depression is much higher during the second half of the menstrual cycle.
The exact cause of PMS is unknown. Changes in brain hormone levels may play a role, but this has not been proven. Women with premenstrual syndrome may also respond differently to these hormones.
- Undiagnosed depression, stress etc.
- Low/insufficient vitamins & minerals
- PMS is mostly related to social, cultural, biological, and psychological factors.
- The condition is estimated to affect up to 75% of women during their childbearing years.
- It occurs more often in women: Between their late 20s and early 40s
- The symptoms typically get worse in a woman's late 30s and 40s as she approaches the transition to menopause.
Most of women with premenstrual syndrome experience only the few of these above given problems & symptoms disappear as the menstrual period begins.
But for some women with premenstrual syndrome, symptoms are so sever they are considered disabling. This form of PMS is known as "premenstrual dysphoric disorder"(PMDD).
PMDD is a severe form of premenstrual syndrome with symptoms including severe depression, feelings of hopelessness, anger, anxiety, low self-esteem, difficulty concentrating, irritability and tension. As many as 50% - 60% of women with severe PMS may have an underlying psychiatric disorder.
Homeopathy treatment for PMS*
Homeopathy treats the person as a whole. This means that homeopathic treatment focuses on the patient as a person, as well as his/her pathological condition. The homeopathic medicines are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis, which includes the medical history of the patient, physical and mental constitution etc. These medicines work very well for all type of PMS symptom like for reducing pain & discomfort.
The medicines given below indicate the therapeutic affinity but this is not a complete and definite guide to the treatment of this condition. None of these homeopathy medicines should be taken without professional advice.
Aconite, Alumen, Aurum Met, Belladona, Calc Carb, Colocynthis, Graphites, Hamamelis, Kalium Brom, Mag Phos, Phosphorus, Pulsatilla, Staphysagria, Thuja, etc.
Diet & Management
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals each day to reduce blotting and the sensation of fullness.
- Engaging in brisk walking, jogging, biking or swimming reduces menstrual discomfort.
- A warm bath and heating pads helps in relieving pain
- Avoid caffeine & alcohol
- Less salt consumption can help reduce the amount of water your body holds, relieving discomfort caused by bloating
- Take proper sleep before and during period to avoid fatigue and increase your body's ability to tolerate discomfort
- Supplements of Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin B-6 and Vitamin E, Multivitamin and Mineral supplement programme may helpful.