Alzheimer's Disease/Dementia and Homeopathy
It is really frustrating and agonizing watching our parents or the people whom we love gradually lose their mental capacities. To watch them lose their memories, lose their way and may be even they forget who we are!
If they are suffering from Alzheimer's disease or other form of dementia, the Homeopathy treatment provide hope to the sufferer & their family members by tackling and arresting the progress of memory loss without any side effects.
Senior citizens suffer with a range of ailments. As their body might become delicate, feeble and tender they require homeopathic constitutional treatment which could strengthen their immune system. Homeopathy offers a safe and effective treatment for most of the health conditions experienced by old people.
What is Alzheimer's Disease/ Dementia?
AD or dementia is a brain disorder, begins after the age of 60 that seriously affects a person's ability to carry out daily activities. It begins slowly, involving the parts of the brain that control thought, memory & language. People with AD may have trouble in remembering recent events, name of people etc.
Over times symptoms get worse and the patient might have trouble in speaking, reading & writing. They may forget how to brush their teeth or comb their hair, become anxious or aggressive, and wander away from home.
Senility (with atrophy / shrinkage of brain tissue) is the main suspected cause for erasing incidents or memories from our mind in case of Alzheimer`s. Adverse effects of prolong medication in old age take the second place.
- Persistent forgetfulness
- Has mind personality changes
- Miner disorientation
- Frequently loses or misplaces familiar items
- Difficulties in finding the right word and performing simple calculations.
As the disease progresses the person:
- Has noticeable memory loss
- Frequently uses word inappropriately
- Difficulty in performing normal tasks involving muscle coordination such as cooking, dressing bathing, balancing check book etc.
- May wander off, agitated & confused, fail to recognize friends & relatives, own clothing etc
In the final stage of severe Alzheimer, the affected individual:
- Becomes mute & uncomprehending & stare blankly without any reaction or emotion
- Loses all self care ability & becomes incontinent
- Is unable to feed, dress & bath himself or herself
Homeopathic approach to Alzheimer / Dementia*
Even though there is no promising cure, homeopathy can manage this complaint well. With detailed case taking, giving importance to their feeling & analyzing them constitutionally, Homeopathy can provide hope to the sufferer & their family members by tackling and arresting the progress of memory loss without any side effects.
Homeopathy Medicines/Remedies for Alzheimer / Dementia
Acid phos, Agaricus, Alumina, Ambra grisea, Anacardium, Baryta carb, Bryonia, Calc carb, Causticum, Conium, Gelsimium, Gingko biloba, Helleborus, Lycopodium, Natrum mur, Opium, Plumbum, Selenium, Stramonium, Sulphur, Thuja, Zinc met etc.
These medicines should be taken under the advise and diagnosis of a Qualified Homeopathy Doctor. Self medication is not advisable.
Diet & Management for Alzheimer / Dementia
- Consume a diet rich in antioxidants with an emphasis on whole fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts & seeds which is also a good source of magnesium. Avoid milk and dairy products.
- Regularly consume cold water fish to increase essential fatty acid (EFA) levels. (Also known as Omega 3 & Omega 6 fatty acids)
- A rich diet in magnesium is recommended. It helps to decrease aluminum absorption.
- Use the mind: get adequate mental exercise by solving puzzles, reading good articles which make you think.
- Daily exercise to improve overall circulation and well-being.
- Stress management. Learn & practice better coping skills, like meditation, breathing exercise (Pranayama).
- Avoid all kind of aluminum, like utensils, aluminum foil, non dairy creamers, baking powder etc.