Insomnia & Homeopathy
Insomnia is difficulty in sleeping or inability to fall asleep or to remain asleep long enough to feel rested, especially when this is a problem that continues over time.
People who suffer from insomnia disorder have many complains, and many have similar symptoms. Symptoms can vary from depression, worry, stress to pain to always feeling tired. Insomnia is a very difficult disease to live with. It is hard for both patient and his family members.
- Tension insomnia occurs mostly in executive or woman who worries about their business and work.
- Fatigue insomnia happens when women get tired during the day and they take a nap during early afternoon and as the result that cannot go to sleep at bedtime.
- In Discomfort insomnia patient often complain of stomach upsets, such as ulcers, toothache & arthritis. This causes them to wake up during the night, which gives them discomfort.
- In & out insomnia occurs that they didn't sleep at all during the night when they really did, but only stayed in the first stage of light sleep & woke up frequently throughout the night.
Another common causes of insomnia
Psychiatric disorder - mood disorders (mania, depression & anxiety disorder), shock, grief after someone death or divorce.
Drug use or misuse - Alcohol, stimulant drugs like caffeine, prescribed drugs like steroids etc.
Physical conditions - Pain, frequent night urination, menopause & malnutrition.
Primary sleep disorders - Sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome.
Female gender affected most; Women tend to be the victims of insomnia more often than their male counterparts. This is partially due to the fact that hormonal changes which are intrinsic to females can bring about this particular condition. These changes may include PMS, menstruation, pregnancy and menopause. Any number of things can happen when an influx or decrease of hormones takes place in the body, and insomnia is one of the more common side effects.
Advanced age insomnia occurs more frequently in those over age 60.
Reversal of sleep rhythm seen in jet-lag, head injury.
Transient and intermittent insomnia generally occur in people who are temporarily experiencing one or more of the following - stress, environmental noise, extreme temperatures, a change in the surrounding environment.
Homeopathy treatment for Insomnia*
Homeopathy treats the person as a whole. It means that homeopathic treatment focuses on the patient as a person, as well as his pathological condition. The homeopathic medicines are selected after a full individualizing examination and case-analysis.
Homeopathy treats the root cause of illness. Homeopathic medicines are selected on the basis of medical history of the patient, symptoms, cause, family history and constitution of the person affected. Considering all these factors any of the below listed (or some other) homeopathic medicine may be indicated and helpful in this condition.
Homeopathy remedies for Insomnia
Aconite, Arnica, Nux vomica, Belladonna, Chamomilla, Arsenic album, Argenticum nitricum; Gelsemium, Ignatia amara, , Causticum, Kalium phos, Natrum Mur etc.
Consult a qualified homeopoath. Self medication is not advisable.
Diet & Management
- Going to bed same time every night, establishing a routine and ceasing to take afternoon naps.
- Limit the amount of stimulants you take. For insomnia sufferers limiting caffeine intake can be crucial to establishing better sleep.
- Take warm water bath before sleeping
- Avoid alcohol within several hours of bedtime
- Avoid exercise at least 3 hours before bedtime
- Discontinue watching TV or reading while in bed
Complications of insomnia may include:
- Lower performance on the job or at school
- Slowed reaction time while driving and higher risk of accidents
- Psychiatric problems, such as depression or an anxiety disorder
- Overweight or obesity
- Poor immune system function
- Increased risk and severity of long-term diseases, such as high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes