Cough and Homeopathy
Cough is a symptom that has been experienced by almost every individual from time to time. It is a protective, primitive reflex whose action secures the removal of mucus, noxious substances & infections from the larynx, trachea & larger bronchi.
Types of Cough
- Acute - Lasting less than 3 weeks
- Chronic - Lasting more than 8 weeks
- Productive Cough - Cough with phlegm or mucus(sputum)
- Non-productive cough - Cough is dry and does not produce phlegm or mucus(sputum)
Factors leading to a Productive cough (with phlegm) include:
- Infections - An infection of the lungs or upper airway passage due to common cold (most frequently), pneumonia, bronchitis, sinusitis, etc.
- Postnasal drip syndrome - Excessive mucus accumulated in the back of nose drains down into the throat & excites cough. Can be caused by rhinitis or sinusitis.
- Chronic lung diseases - It can be a sign of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease such as bronchitis.
Factors leading to Non-productive cough (without phlegm) include:
- Bronchospasm - Irritation may lead to spasm of the bronchial tubes with dry cough, more commonly at night or early morning.
- Allergies - Allergic rhinitis, etc
- Occupational factors - Exposure to dust, fumes and chemical in the work environment.
- Smoking - Cigarette smoking or exposure to passive smoke.
- Foreign body in airways - Airway obstruction due to an inhaled object such as food,, a piece of balloon or a small toy.
- Croup - A viral inflammation of larynx, windpipe and bronchial passage that produces the bark like cough in infants and in young children between 3 months & 3 years.
- Bronchiolitis (inflammation of bronchioles, the smallest air passages of lungs) - most commonly affecting infants with recurrent cough wheezing & breathlessness.
- Asthma - A chronic dry cough may be a sign of mild asthma with wheezing, shortness of breath or a feeling of tightness in the chest.
Consult a Qualified Homeopathy Doctor for the appropriate treatment. For chronic & acute conditions patient needs constitutional treatment to reduce the recurrence of attacks and to build resistance & immunity which will lead the treatment towards cure in short span of period.
According to your symptoms homeopath will give you one of the following remedy to subside your acute phase.
Self medication is not advisable.
Homeopathy medicines/remedies for Cough
Aconite, Agaricus, Ambrosia, Ambra grisea, Ammon carb, Antim tart, Ars alb, Bryonia, Causticum, Drosera, Dulcamara, Hepar sulph, Kali Bich, Kali Carb, Phyto, Psorinum , Phosphorus, Rumex, Spongia, Sambucus, Squilla, Sticta, Stannum met, Sulph, Tuberculinum etc.